South Africa and parts of Africa are facing one of the driest periods in decades due to poor rainfall, increased demand and struggling water infrastructures, and vast numbers now living under severe water restrictions. Responding to the demand for an affordable way to collect and store rainwater, we have developed the Power Plastics Rainwater Harvester. Simple yet highly effective, this storage solution is being used by industry, agriculture and domestic users of water. The Harvester is affordable as it is a flexible tank.
It has been calculated that one millimetre of rain on one square metre of roof yields one litre of water. In one wet season, this is a vast amount of water from an entirely natural and free resource!
The Harvester is simple to install and is supplied with clear instructions on how to assemble and attach the bag. The DIY fitment makes this an affordable solution without any installation charges or specialist skills required.
The Power Plastics Rainwater Harvester has a pillow shape and lies on the ground next to a gutter downpipe. To install, the downpipe is cut one metre from the ground and the Harvester is connected to the downpipe via a PVC sleeve and cable ties which are supplied.
The water is released under gravity feed via a normal garden hose connector.
To increase the volume of water that can be stored at any one time, additional Harvesters can be interconnected in series using a garden hose and connectors. The Rainwater Harvester is available in a number of sizes to suit your water requirements and space constraints.
- An affordable way to collect non-potable water for use in the garden or for topping up a pool. An excellent approach to long-term water storage for use in times of water scarcity and water restrictions.
- Because the Harvester stores water in a completely sealed environment, sunlight cannot penetrate and algae growth is avoided, thereby improving the water hygiene without any chemical treatments.
- Easy to dismantle and store when not in use. The Harvester is also easy to move when empty to another area/downpipe.
- Can be custom made to any shape or size to suit a specific area in the garden, including under patio decking for a more discrete storage solution.
Materials and specifications
- The Rainwater Harvester is made from a 600gsm PVC material that has been UV treated to allow for a lifespan of at least 5 years with no degradation of the material.
- The inflow is via a PVC sleeve (supplied with the kit) that is fitted below a suitable downpipe that has been shortened to about a metre from the ground and secured to the downpipe using the cable ties provided.
- The outflow contains a ball valve and standard 25mm click-on garden hose connector for connecting to an existing hosepipe.
- Supplied in DIY kit form with all the fittings for the inflow and outflow already attached.
The Power Plastics Rainwater Harvester is available in a range of 4 sizes:
- 2m x 1m, yielding approximately 500 litres when filled to capacity
- 2.8m x 1.2m, yielding approximately 1000 litres when filled to capacity
- 2m x 3m, yielding approximately 2000 litres when filled to capacity
- 3m x 3m, yielding approximately 4000 litres when filled to capacity
The Harvester can also be custom-made to suit individual requirements.
- The Harvester has a 1 (one) year warranty. Always follow the installation, maintenance and user guidelines to avoid the warranty being voided.
Click here to download the Power Plastics Rainwater Harvester electronic brochure (PDF).