South Africa and parts of Africa are facing one of the driest periods in decades due to poor rainfall, increased demand and struggling water infrastructures, and vast numbers now living under severe water restrictions. Responding to the demand for an affordable way to collect and store rainwater, we have developed the Power Plastics Rainwater Harvester. Simple yet highly effective, this storage solution is being used by industry, agriculture and domestic users of water. The Harvester is affordable and as it is a flexible tank.
It has been calculated that one millimetre of rain on one square metre of roof yields one litre of water. In one wet season, this is a vast amount of water from an entirely natural and free resource!
The Harvester is simple to install and is supplied with clear instructions on how to assemble and attach the bag. The DIY fitment makes this an affordable solution without any installation charges or specialist skills required.
At present we are selling Rainwater Harvesters intended for non-potable garden and pool use only. One can select a product suitable for potable water use, at a 20% premium on the price due to the material used. Both Harvesters are used in exactly the same way.
The Power Plastics Rainwater Harvester has a pillow shape and lies on the ground next to a gutter downpipe. To install, the downpipe is cut one metre from the ground and the Harvester is connected to the downpipe via a header tank, hose and clamps which are supplied.
The water is released under gravity feed via a normal garden hose connector. We recommend installing the Harvester on a slight incline so that the outflow is below the inflow to create added the pressure for the outflow.
To increase the volume of water that can be stored at any one time, additional Harvesters can be interconnected in series. The Rainwater Harvester is available in a number of sizes to suit your water requirements and space constraints.
- An affordable way to collect non-potable water for use in the garden or for topping up a pool. An excellent approach to long-term water storage for use in times of water scarcity and water restrictions.
- Because the Harvester stores water in a completely sealed environment, sunlight cannot penetrate and algae growth is avoided, thereby improving the water hygiene without any chemical treatments.
- Easy to dismantle and store when not in use. The Harvester is also easy to move when empty to another area/downpipe.
- Can be custom made to any shape or size to suit a specific area in the garden, including under patio decking for a more discrete storage solution.
Materials and specifications
- The Rainwater Harvester is made from a 600gsm PVC material that has been UV treated to allow for a lifespan of at least 5 years with no degradation of the material.
- The inflow is via a hose connected to an aluminum header box (supplied with the kit) that is fitted below a suitable downpipe that has been shortened to about a metre from the ground. There is an overflow outlet from the header box that diverts excess water back down into the drain.
- The outflow contains a ball valve and standard 25mm click-on garden hose connector for connecting to an existing hosepipe.
- Supplied in DIY kit form with all the fittings for the inflow and outflow already attached.
- A protective layer of Sealmac polyester geotextile is supplied, which is laid on the ground and on which the Harvester is placed. This reduces the likelihood of potential damage to the Harvester by any sharp objects on the ground.
- A gutter guard is supplied which is placed into the top of the downpipe to prevent any leaves that may be in the gutters from clogging up the water flow into the Harvester.
The Power Plastics Rainwater Harvester is available as standard in a range of 4 sizes, namely:
- 2 metres x 1 metre yielding approximately 1 000 litres when filled to capacity
- 3 metres x 1.5 metres yielding approximately 2 000 litres when filled to capacity
- 3 metres x 3 metres yielding approximately 3 000 litres when filled to capacity
- 5 metres x 3 metres yielding approximately 5 000 litres when filled to capacity
The Harvester can also be custom-made to suit individual requirements.
- The Harvester has a 1 (one) year warranty. Always follow the installation, maintenance and user guidelines to avoid the warranty being voided.